On a cold Monday evening, we invited the New York Women’s Culinary Alliance NYWCA to the French Cheese Board for an evening featuring rye cocktails and fromage to kick-off the week.
The NYWCA is an organization of professional women in the food and wine industry, dedicated to encouraging cooperation, networking and education among its member. They have events for their members and it was a pleasure to welcome them to the space and enjoy rye and fromage.
There was an educational part with representatives of the rye being featured and of course a pairing.
1. Coppersea’s Bonticou Crag Straight Single Malt Rye & Cantalet: Cantalet is a semi-hard cow’s milk cheese from the Auvergne region. With a crumbly texture, it complex with sweet, buttery, subtle tangy notes that ends in a nice smooth creaminess. It balances the earthy aromas of the whiskey and complements the cinnamon flavors and mints with a its creamy finish.
2. Sagamore Rye Whiskey & Mimolette 12m: A hard cow’s milk cheese with a distinct orange color from the Pas-de-Calais/Normandy, Mimolette is both sharp and mild with fruity, nutty, and subtle caramel notes. It a smoother Mimolette compared to the more aged ones to go with the smooth mouth feel and counteracts the spiciness of the finish.
3. Clyde May’s Straight Rye & Fourme d’Ambert: Fourme d’Ambert is a blue cow’s milk cheese from Auvergne, aged for a minimum or 2months. It is the mildest of the French blue cheeses with a rich and creamy texture. Fruity, sweet and slightly salty on the tongue.
4. New York Distilling Ragtime Rye & Grand Mogol: Grand Mogol is a triple creme cheese made in Ile de France by Rouzaire. It is a soft bloomy rind cheese that has a buttery luscious texture with a creamy, rich, and slightly salty flavor. The cool richness of the Grand Mogol contrasts the warm and spicy honey flavors of the rye.
5. Wigle Organic Rye Whiskey & Soumaintrain: Soumaintrain is a washed rind cow’s milk cheese from Burgundy where the Marc de Bourgogne used for the aging of the cheese is also produced. The Soumaintrain is soft, creamy and pungent enough to equal the strength of the Rye, and its sweetness and smoothness match the caramel and tart cherry flavors of the whiskey.
Once the pairings were complete, there was also a cocktail-making session and one of them was the location appropriate, Manhattan. With all that rye and cheese, it was a wonderful night for everyone.Share: