On September 5th, the French Cheese Board and Palais des Thés welcomed influencers and the media to a pairing event of French teas and cheese. The six pairings created in honor of this event were:
- Chevrot & Sencha Ariake: Chevrot is an aged goat’s milk cheese from the Poitou-Charentes region of France with a dense and chalky texture and a nutty, slightly fruity flavor. Sencha Ariake is a sweet, invigorating Japanese green tea perfect for the morning. Sencha Ariake’s aromas: initially iodine, marine (raw fish, seaweed) and planty notes (cooked vegetables to start, then cut grass at the finish).
- Pont l’Evêque & Bancha Hojicha: Pont l’Evêque is a washed rind cow’s milk cheese from Normandy that is matured for at least 6 weeks. It has a soft and runny texture with a slightly sticky surface and a pronounced creamy, fruity and nutty flavor – and a slight tang. When roasted, Bancha Hojicha tea takes on a brown color and a very pleasant woody aroma. Low in caffeine and very thirst quenching, this tea is perfect in the evening.
- Tomme Corse & Butterfly of Taïwan: Tomme Corse is a sheep’s milk cheese from Corsica aged for a minimum of 3 months with a smooth and milky texture. Like all sheep’s milk cheeses, Tomme Corse has a very buttery taste, and melts on the tongue with a hazelnut finish. Butterfly of Taïwan is a superb tea, delicate and scented. All the qualities of oolong teas are well defined in this tea: it is woody and honeyed, round and long lasting on the palate.
- Comté & Kuwapani Makalu Tippy: Comté is a cow’s milk cheese produced in the Jura Massif. This Comté is aged for 24 months and has a dense, firm texture. It has sharpened flavors of earth, fruit, butter and roasted nuts. Kuwapani Makalu Tippy tea comes from the Makalu valley and is produced by the prestigious plantation of Kuwapani. Its aromas: very fruity (cooked fruit, citrus), woody (waxed wood), straw, floral, spices.
- Cantalet & Pu Erh Impérial: Cantalet is a pressed cow’s milk cheese from the Auvergne region and is aged for 3 to 6 months. It has a firm, supple and slightly crumbly texture with an earthy fragrance and buttery/nutty flavors. Pu Erh Impérial is a dark tea with a strong scent of damp earth. This Pu Erh Impérial is a renowned remedy in China, perfect after a good meal to aid with digestion. Pu Erh Impérial’s aromas: animal, undergrowth, moss, damp wood and damp earth.
- Valencay & Blue of London: Valencay is a fresh goat’s milk cheese from the Centre region of France. Covered in a protective layer of vegetable ash, this cheese is light and citrusy with a slight tang from the ash. One of the best black teas in the world, Yunnan, is combined with fresh, delicate bergamot to produce a remarkably balanced and refined blend. Blue of London is an exceptional Earl Grey with aromas of bergamot, flower petals of cornflower and blue mallow.